You are invited to join us in celebrating Shabbat and Sukkot in a family-friendly, community environment, complete with our own sukkah. Rabbi Harry will lead us in a fun, thoughtful program meant for anyone who wants to come. Below is information about registration, logistics, cost, and a basic explanation of how the retreat will work.
Camp Miriam is located on Gabriola Island, off Nanaimo. The camp is across the road from a typical gorgeous Gulf Island beach and down the road from beautiful sandy beaches.
Friday, Oct 10
- 3:50pm – ferry from Nanaimo to Gabriola Island
- 5:00pm – official start with walk to the “Point” for Kabbalat Shabbat;
- 6:15pm – candle lighting and dinner back at camp; evening program with flashlights!
Saturday, Oct 11
- A mix of learning, singing, playing, and sharing during the day
- Havdallah and a “sharing of talents”; weather permitting: a campfire
Sunday, Oct 12
- 11:00 am approximately – end of program
The art galleries on Gabriola are open all of Thanksgiving Weekend – a wonderful outing after the retreat.
Costs for the weekend are as follows:
- Adult: $60
- Child (12 and under): $40 first child
- ($20 for each additional child)
The fee covers accommodation and food for Friday night dinner, breakfasts, hot drinks and snacks. We will be depending on volunteer participants for food preparation and cleanup.
In addition, each family will bring:
- Two vegetarian/dairy main course dishes. One should be a hot dish (e.g. Casserole) and the other a cold dish (e.g. Bean salad, humus, dolmades).
- One dessert which feeds 6 – 8 people each.
- Please be sure to label your dishes with your name and all ingredients.
Accommodations: Camp Miriam has winterized cabins with bunk beds; families will be bunking together. Bathrooms with flush toilets and showers are communal.
Alternative Accommodations: The 3-star Surf Lodge hotel is a three minute walk from the camp and highly recommended. Speak to Leah about how to contact the hotel.
What to bring:
- sleeping bags, pillows, towels, warm clothing, rain gear
- kippot, candle sticks, candles, talit
- any personal medications
- flashlights; baby monitors for young kids
- songbooks/ideas for talent sharing/musical instruments
- a piece of Judaica or heritage item which has meaning for your family
Fill out the registration form here.
REGISTRATION WILL BE OPEN UNTIL SUNDAY, OCTOBER 5TH.
If you have any questions, please email or call Leah Levi at (250) 370-1246 or (604) 782-1201.