Congregation Emanu-El is looking for a temporary newsletter publisher/editor. Our editor is taking a much-needed hiatus to work on our synagogue information management system. If you have time and some experience with MailChimp, or desktop publishing skills, please contact the synagogue office at 250-382-0615 or email@example.com. This is a three-month position, and there is an honorarium attached to this essential role.
Dear Congregation Emanu-El readers and members
Friday, July 28, 2017 marks five years and a day since I took over the design of Congregation Emanu-El’s newsletter.
People often approach us with a ready-made poster, and ask us to publish it in our newsletter, or online. We can’t accept these, however, and here’s why:
- Electronic newsletters, by their nature, are primarily text-based vehicles, with illustrations designed to be placed in between text blocks. Posters, on the other hand, are a hard-copy print medium, designed for walls, where text and images can (and usually are) combined and overlap
- Placing the poster purely as an illustration in addition to the text would result in redundant duplication of information
- Posters are usually potrait-oriented, taking up much more room on the page than anticipated by the template—which is why the ideal illustrations for a newsletter are landscape-oriented
- When placed within the confines of the newsletter column, some of the poster’s text may be too small to read.
- Some readers receive the newsletter in text, rather than HTML, format—which means that they can’t see the images, and if the text is only embedded within the picture, they can’t read it.
For all these reasons, we ask (at the bottom of each newsletter issue) that people provide us with text and images separately, not posters, when sending us items for publication.
Thanks for understanding.
Congregation Emanu-El Newsletter Team
The Congregation Emanu-El Newsletter (CEEN) is now accepting advertisements from businesses on an experimental basis, to complement the advertising in the annual Jewish Directory and Koleinu. Ads can contain an image, such as the one here. (See below right for a sample narrow ad). All income goes to a special new fund to help with synagogue operational expenses. For details on circulation, rates, and conditions, see our Advertising Information Sheet.