Saturday October 16, 2021, at 7 :30 pm—The Victoria International Jewish Film Festival (VIJFF) opens at 7:30 pm on Saturday, October 16, 2021, with a virtual program of three shorts and four feature-length films (all available until October 23, 2021):
- Here We Are, a humorous, heartwarming story about an Israeli father and his autistic son.
- They Ain’t Ready for Me, a documentary about a female African-American rabbinical student’s efforts to make her Chicago neighbourhood safer (with an online interview with the film’s director on October 21, 2021 at 7 pm).
- Winter Journey, with Bruno Ganz in his last performance as a Jewish German father sharing his recollections of his past with his son.
- Whispers of Silence, an innovative, albeit weighty Mexican documentary about intergenerational trauma among the families of Holocaust survivors (with an online discussion with the film’s directors and other panelists on October 19, 2021 at 7pm).
VIJFF continues in the Vic Theatre on Sunday, October 17, 2021, with two feature-length films:
- The Crossing, a family film about the journey to safety of two Jewish Norwegian children and the two Christian children who assist them in Sweden during WWII—Screening at 1 pm (and online from 8 am–8 pm).
- Neighbours, a film, rich in humanism and humour, about a Kurdish boy and his uncle in Syria and their relationship with their Jewish neighbours through time and tyrannies—Screening at 4 pm.
- Breaking Bread, a mouth-watering documentary about the Jewish and Palestinian chefs who gather in Haifa for a celebration of food and culture.
VIJFF presents its closing film on Sunday, October 24, 2021, at 4 pm in the Vic Theatre: Ticketing is by donation. For more information…