The Congregation Emanu-El Adult Education Team has arranged a series of sessions inviting us to examine some aspects of Judaism that fall outside what we might consider conventional Jewish wisdom.
Sunday, Oct 27, 2019, 4 pm: Magic and the Rabbinate
- Rabbi Harry explores using amulets and healing rituals in the context of liberal and rational Judaism.
Saturday, Nov 23, 2019, 7 pm: Creative Midrash
- Join Rabbi Harry and friends in an interactive evening using art and drama to expand on sacred Torah narratives in a search for deeper meaning and insights.
Sunday, Jan 5, 2020, 4 pm: Kafka and Secular Jewish Mysticism
- Lee Henderson will take a look at the life and work of the great 20th century Jewish writer Franz Kafka and his relationship to Tanakh, the tales of Rabbi Nachman, the Midrash, Kaballah, contemporary secular political ideologies.
Sunday, Feb 2, 2020, 4 pm: Jewish Shamanism
- Francis Landy will discuss aspects of shamanism, a term for a cross-cultural religious orientation which seeks to access alternative states of consciousness, in Judaism from the prophets through medieval and post-medieval Kabbalah to the present day.
Sunday, Feb. 23, 2020, 4 pm: Hit’ḥadshut Hayahadut: Renewing Jewish Spirituality after the Holocaust
- Rabbi Daniel Siegel will guide us as we look at ways to renew our Judaism with a particular emphasis on Ḥasidism and neo-Ḥasidism.
Sessions will be held in Congregation Emanu-El, 1461 Blanshard Street, Victoria.
Entry is by donation: light refreshments will be served. Contact Heshi (email@example.com) if you have any questions.