February 1 – 10, 2019 — Celebrating its 25th anniversary the Victoria Film Festival (VFF), which will run from February 1 to 10, 2019, will screen three Jewish-themed films: The Unorthodox, The Reports on Sarah and Saleem and Seder-Masochism.
- The Unorthodox (Israel, 92 minutes) — Eliran Malka’s entertaining historical drama sees Yaakov Cohen, a middle-age printer in Jerusalem, infuriated by anti-Sephardic prejudice, decide to create a new political party. This film is presented by the Victoria International Jewish Film Festival (VIJFF).*
- The Reports on Sarah and Saleem (Palestine, 2018, 127 minutes) — A taut, engrossing Palestinian drama about an extramarital affair between a Jewish Israeli woman and a Muslim Palestinian.
- Seder-Masochism (USA, 2018, 78 minutes) — Independent animator Nina Paley (Sita Sings the Blues) tackles the male-dominated view of Passover and her own family’s history in this unforgettable and hilarious musical retelling of the Book of Exodus.
Below are the dates and times, venues and links to purchase tickets for these three films.
- The Unorthodox : Mon | February 4 | 9:00 PM | SilverCity #3
- The Unorthodox : Wed | February 6 | 6:45 PM | Capitol 6
- The Reports on Sarah and Saleem: Tue | February 5 | 6:15 PM | SilverCity #3
- The Reports on Sarah and Saleem: Thu | February 7 | 6:45 PM | Capitol 6
- Seder-Masochism: Wed | February 6 | 6:00 PM | Parkside
- To see the schedule for the entire 2019 Victoria Film Festival click here…
- To read the detailed program guide notes on all the films, click here…
*Lincoln Z. Shlensky, Director of the 2017 and 2018 Victoria International Jewish Film Festivals, is a Section Programmer (Middle East) for the Victoria Film Festival. He wrote the VFF program notes for The Unorthodox and The Reports on Sarah and Salem.