Learning to Chant from our Holy Book
New course starts January 12th
Have you ever thought of learning to chant from the Torah? Perhaps you have a family event, or the anniversary of your Bar/Bat Mitzvah approaching? Or, you know how to read from the siddur and follow the prayers on Shabbat, but want to deepen your Jewish practice? If so, this course may be for you!
The beginner course unlocks many of the mysteries surrounding chanting or “leyning” Torah. It presents both the theoretical foundation plus practical hands-on sessions designed to learn the musical notes (“trop”) essential to singing from our holy book. The course is designed for beginners – or those who’d like a refresher – and who have a basic level of fluency in reading Hebrew and musicality.
- Date: Mondays January 12 – May 11, 2015
- Time: 7:00 – 8:30 pm
- Sessions: 15
- Location: Social Hall, Fisher Educational Centre, Congregation Emanu-El
- Cost: $118 synagogue members; $149 non-members
- Prerequisite: Hebrew Literacy l and ll
- Resource (extra): Chanting the Hebrew Bible (Student Edition) by Joshua R. Jacobson
- Teacher: Aaron Severs
For questions or more information: please email Aaron or phone him at 250-475-0686